Welcome to Home Smart Energy, here you will find ten top tips to follow to ensure you get the most out of your energy usage, which in turn will REDUCE YOUR BILLS, and LOWER your CARBON FOOTPRINT.
No matter your situation, we have got youcovered. You can save money no matter where you are or who you live with, we are committed to helping you SAVE MORE MONEY YEAR in
Are you ready to save up to £375 a year* on your energy bills?
Did you say yes? – Awesome, keep reading!
When you say yes to saving that money you are also saying yes to taking responsibility for the energy you use in your home – so give yourself a pat on the back, this is where you get to reclaim your power – quite literally.
Listed below are our 10 top quick tips check them out and have a think about implementing them as soon as you can
Save up to £28* per year with your washing machine
Use these simple tricks:
- Set your washing machine to a 30-degree cycle instead of the usual 40 degree
- Reduce your washing machine use by one run per week for a year.
- Try doing one cycle after 8pm
- Keep your load small, overfilling your machine can lead to extra washes being required
- Clean your machine once every 3 months. It prevents grime and build up, which in turn keeps your machine functioning at optimum capacity
Save up to £60 per year by avoiding your dryer
We totally understand how easy it is, to throw the clothes in the dryer, pull them out and where them! But… If you can use:
- the clothes airers and racks inside or outside to save those extra pennies
- Using the washing machine spin cycle on its highest setting for 10 minutes, will help wring the clothes and is a far better alternative to the dryer which also allows your clothes to dry quickly.
Save £25*per year with your brew
How many times a day do you boil your Kettle? Do you overfill it? We know you do! But it’s ok, you are not alone. Thousands of households do exactly the same. Check out these simple tricks to save you more money with your next brew
- Save up to £11 a year on your electricity bill, simply by not overfilling your kettle.
- Use energy efficient appliances A+ rated
- We also recommend an aerator to reduce the amount of water that gets poured down the drain and wasted. These gadgets are small and attach to your taps, super simple to install and make a difference and this alone could save you £25 per year
- Turn all your appliances off at the switch – Including your kettle
Save £14 per year with your Dishwasher
Yes you can save money with your dishwasher and put your rubber gloves away!
- Only run your dishwasher when it is full to reduce the amount of water you use. Reducing your dishwasher use by one run per week for a year could save you £14
- Use an A+ rated machine
- Try and use the lower degree cycle 20 degrees, with a shorter time frame
- Maintain the machine regularly with a good clean and keep the salt and rinse aid topped up too
Save £55 per year by ditching YOUR Standby
When was the last time you turned your appliances off at the switch? Standby burns electricity when you are not using it! OUCH. Use these tips to save your money.
- Turn your appliances off at the switch and create a new habit.
- Be mindful of the electrics that are required for emergency responses.
- Keep the fridge and freezer on
- Turning the switches off before bed is one habit you can start today.
Blackpool Illuminations in your home cost an extra £20 per year!
This one is a simple tip and will save you from hearing “This is not Blackpool Illuminations” when in the company of the older generation
When you enter or leave a room, it’s best to hit the switch! Turning the lights off will save electricity and in turn more money in your pocket.
Another great tip, we love to share is the magical effect of LED Bulbs. They are super cost
effective and last longer than ordinary bulbs.
Take a shower instead of a bath
A 4 minute shower, can save you £12 a year on your energy bills. Some of us might enjoy a long soak in the bath, but swapping just one bath a week with a 4-minute shower could save you £12 a year on your energy bills.
Save £70 a year with a 4 minute shower
Keeping your shower time to just 4 minutes could save a typical household £70 a year on their energy bills.
Stopping letting the Draught in.
We know you don’t deliberately let the draught in, but as your home ages, some heat will be escaping through the windows and doors, the gaps in the floor and if you have one… the chimney!
Professional draught proofing can save you approximately £45 per year. If you love DIY this can also be very cost effective!
Focus on your insulation
Keeping your home insulated is not just about the loft, windows, doors, floorboards or chimneys… it’s also a good idea to insulate other things such as your water tank, hot water or heating pipes and your radiators too.
Buying British standard jackets, using thin foam sprays or other items purchased from your local DIY store are simple ways to keep the energy costs low and your heat in. Ultimately saving you up to £35 per year.